Friday, December 3, 2010

Futbol

Walking around campus this tuesday I stopped by the big soccer field as I saw a single person playing soccer. At the moment I cannot afford to buy soccer shoes, so I played in jeans and a pair of levi boat shoes (comparable in style to sperry's top sider, but thinner with cheaper material). My playing partner and I struck up a conversation and exchanged phone numbers so we could meet again and play. Yesterday, thursday, we met again and he introduced me to his friend. We arrived around 5:30 and darkness loomed all around us. At around 6:15 the lights came on and like a swat operation you would see on tv, people came from every corner of the darkness around the now illuminated field to play soccer. These intense college students warmed up. They passed and juggled the balls. They put their gear on. They got ready to play. They stood around chatting and freezing for 20 odd minutes (the last two days have been cold here in Florida)! This annoyed me. So just like I was at the YMCA gathering all the kids up to play, I gathered up all these students to play. Divided teams and began. The game was played with people randomly joining and leaving. Partial confusion that worked out. It was good. As my old coach would say I played like bambi, slipping and sliding whenever I tried to change direction. I enjoyed myself.

Happy I was, on my walk home despite being dirty, cold, and bruised. I finally have found something that really will lift my spirits, even when I do not know they are down.  After playing this beautiful game, my outlook becomes more positive. Instead of building mental barriers and defensive shields against people that I perceive as annoying or not worth my time, I open a door and step out of my comfort zone. Soccer really has not done this much before. Possibly because there was pressure to win or get a scholarship.  I never much tried for either of those. Maybe it is just because this time, there is more of a friendship involved. 

Finally, I currently am  developing a strategy to get a job at a motorcycle dealership. My gut is telling me the answer will be no,  but I am really keen on this one. I will not take no as an answer. Even if its just volunteer I want to be around motorcycles or cars. I want to learn. Perhaps if I can find something to bring to their table they will accept my request.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.



Finding my feet,
Art

No comments:

Post a Comment